Wednesday, December 10, 2014

Why trolls eat Jell-O

I don’t like Jell-O. No, "don't  like" is too mild a term to describe how I feel about Jell-O. I loathe it, yeah, that's a better word. And, because I loathe it, you will never, ever, ever see me eating Jell-O. Now, before you start thinking this post is going to be about my disdain for Jell-O, let me get to the point.

Humor me for a moment. Ok, so knowing how much I loathe Jell-O, if every time you saw me, or heard from me, I was complaining to you about how much I loathed it, yet I continued eating Jell-O almost daily, what would you think? Would you think my anger was justified, or would you wonder why I continued eating something I claimed to hate, and then look at me like this...


It's ridiculous, right? But, what I described is exactly what internet trolls do. They pull the "I hate it, but I'm gonna keep eating it" Jello-O move all the time.  Yeah, see, I've noticed that trolls will spend hours looking for and commenting on posts that focus on topics that they say they don’t like, or don't agree with, just so they can ignorantly and hatefully express to the people in the discussion how much they don't like or agree with the topic.  Now, don't confuse trolls with the people who may post opposing views to enhance the dialogue, or those who unintentionally spark a heated debate or cause anger, because that's not the same thing. Trolls, are intentional. They don't care about anyone else's point of view or about trying to gain a better understanding of a particular topic. No, they just want to cause discord by being as inflammatory as possible.

Then, once they've accomplished that feat, they are off to another forum about a topic they claim not to like or disagree with so they can wreak havoc there as well. So basically, they go looking for Jell-O to eat, even though they say they hate it. 

But, recently, I figured something out about trolls. In mythology, trolls  are hungry all the time, and they like to eat humans. But, they don't eat anything that requires hard chewing. Also, when they find a human to eat, they rip off the human's head because, get this; trolls don't like the taste of brains.  

Now you know where I'm going with this, right?

Internet trolls always try to devour the conversations of those whose intellects they know they can't digest. I think that's what makes trolls so angry.  They can't handle heavy conversations because just like people in hospitals who've had throat surgery, trolls have to stick to Jell-O until they are able to move on to solid food, or in their case conversations that require critical thinking and logic.  The problem is, trolls never move beyond the Jell-O phase, which is probably why they are so angry and miserable.  And since we all know misery loves company, then...  

For me, the definition of frustration is trying to have a dollar conversation with someone who has a nickel brain, and that definitely includes trolls. But once I figured out why trolls eat Jell-O, now, when I encounter them, I just post a photo of a box of Jell-O followed by the words "Bon appetit."


1 comment: